Thursday, March 17, 2011

Washington Post Suspends Writer for Plagiarism

Tucson Festival of Books

The Washington Post suspended Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter Sari Horwitz for three months today because of plagiarism. Horwitz copied sections from two Arizona Republic stories about the Jared Loughner shooting rampage and used them in her own work. The paper first reported and apologized for the plagiarism yesterday, but didn't name Horwitz until today. It also said that no other instances of plagiarism turned up in a review of her work.

In a statement released by the Post, Horwitz apologized, saying that her mistake had come under the pressure of deadlines:
"Under the pressure of tight deadlines, I did something I have never done in my entire career. I used another newspaper’s work as if it were my own. It was wrong. It was inexcusable. And it is one of the cardinal sins in journalism. I apologize to the Arizona Republic and its reporters and editors. I accept the punishment that The Washington Post has given to me. And I am grateful the paper will allow me to return. I hope to come back a better journalist and a better person."

Horowitz, who has been with the Post since 1984, shared a Pulitzer Prize with Scott Higham in 2002 for their coverage of child welfare agencies in the capital. She was also part of two of the paper's Pulitzer-winning teams in 1998 and 2007.

Sources:




No comments:

Post a Comment